Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Center for Academic Support Home Page: Prospective Students

Home page for the Center for Academic Support, Denver Campus

What is an Accommodation, and Do I Need one?

What are accommodations?

Accommodations are supports and services that are available to qualified students with disabilites to allow equal access to learning, living, and campus activities. Reasonable accommodations are approved based on individual needs. 

Accommodations can include, but are not limited to: assistive technology, classroom accommodations, testing accommodations, reduced credit hours, housing accommodations, note-taking assistance, priority registration, etc. 

Do I need an accommodation? 

The answer to this question will depend on your individual needs. Have you benefited from supports and services in the past? Do you have a new condition and think an accommodation would level the playing field for you? Has a doctor, therapist, teacher, or other professional made accommodation recommendations to you? Do you have documentation to support an accommodation request (see box below about requesting an accommodation)? Thinking about some of these questions is a place to start when considering your need for an accommodation. 

Differences Between High School and College

High School


Class size may often be small. 

Class size may often be large.

Usually many tests and quizzes.

Fewer smaller tests and longer examinations. 

Students get support in budgeting time and planning their schoolwork.

Students are more independent and must budget their own time and plan their own work. 

School staff monitors students’ progress during the semester. 

Students must monitor their own work.

School will seek out students for accommodations. 

Student must self-identify and seek out their own accommodations.

Schools must alter program and courses if necessary. 

Schools have no obligation to alter programs or courses.

Schools must provide waivers and substitutions if necessary.

Schools have no obligation to provide waivers or substitutions. 

Assignments are more structured.

Assignments are less structured. 

Extra credit work may be allowed.

Extra credit work may not be an option.

Semester may be about 18 weeks.

JWU term is 11 weeks.  Labs are 9 days. 

Instruction modes may vary greatly.

Instruction modes are often lecture, particularly in large classes. 

Students may be allowed to retake or redo tests.

Students may not be allowed to retake or redo tests.

IEP (Individual Educational Program)

No IEP.  Student develops a plan for success with Disability Services. 

The purpose of the IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) and Section 504 subpart D is to ensure that K-12 students are successful.

The ADAAA (Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008) and Section 504 subpart E  ensure access to coursework and campus life.



Requesting Accommodations

The accommodation request process is interactive and includes the student's detailed self report, documentation of a disability from a qualified professional, and evidence of the impact on learning or campus life. 

1.) Documentation: this step can either begin with submitting documentation from a qualified professional via email, mail, or bringing it to an appointment with disability services. Conversely, documentation can be submitted in person following an introductory meeting with disability services. 

2.) Meeting with Disability Services: students (with or without a parent present) will make an appointment to meet with disability services. During this meeting the student will complete a form detailing their educational history, strengths and needs, description of the impact of the disability on learning or campus life, and accommodations being requested. This form will be a starting point for additional dialogue between the student and disability services coordinator. 

3.) Once both steps one and two are complete, the information provided will be reviewed, additional questions might be asked of the student, and a decision about reasonable accommodation will be made. Once information is gathered, this process can take 3-4 weeks. 

4.) If accommodations are approved, the student will be contacted and asked to make an appointment to review how to use the accommoations that have been approved for them, and answer any additional questions. If not approved, the student will be contacted and alternative supports can be discussed. 

Technical Standards

Many programs of study at JWU have technical standards. This includes Culinary, Baking and Pastry, and various programs in the School of Management. Copies of the standards are available in the course catalog.

Technical standards cannot be modified, but applicants and students with disabilities should contact the Disability Services Office (303-256-9451) to discuss the availability of reasonable accommodations where appropriate.