Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Infographic on Infographics
AKA: Infographics or Information graphics. Defined as a graphic visual representation of information, data or knowledge. The process of creating infographics can be referred to as data visualization, information design, or information architecture.
Adobe Color CC
Create and discover color schemes for use in visual assignments.
Components of an Infographic
Infographics can be broken into these main components:
- Visual (colors and graphics)
- Content (data, statistics and/or facts)
- Knowledge (analysis or insight into the data)
Steps to Creating an Infographic
Once you've read through the parameters of the assignment and selected a topic, follow these broad steps to create an infographic:
- Know your Subject
- Creating an infographic requires you to do thorough research on your topic. Read everything and collect as much data as you can find related to your subject matter. Consult a librarian if you need help!
- Plan "the Story"
- An infographic is a visual story about a subject and it needs to have a beginning, middle and end. Create a wireframe to help tell the story.
- Convert Text to Images
- Try to transform as much of your data and text into a visual imagery. This is where charts, graphs, diagrams, flowcharts, maps and other graphical elements come into play.
- Determine the Visual Approach
- Determine the color scheme, typography (font color and size) and structure. The general rule of thumb is to keep things simple. Use 2-3 font types, sizes and colors maximum.
- Proofread and Refine
- Have a friend, instructor, librarian, etc. proofread your work before you publish it. Be sure the data and information you are sharing is accurate and your work is grammatically correct and typo free.
- Once you've finalized your infographic, share it with your classmaters, instructor and the world!
Infographic Creation Tools
Freeware (may require you to create an account):
Other Tools (available in the Computer Labs on campus):
- Microsoft Publisher
- Adobe Indesign