Skip to main content

Faculty: FAQs


1.) What is the best way to refer a struggling student to the Center for Academic Support (CAS)?  This depends on the student and the circumstance, but the more involved faculty are in the referral process, the liklier it is that the student will follow through with CAS supports. You can walk the student over to CAS, give a description of our location, describe our services, or give an example of an anonymous student that you've referred for services in the past and describe a positive outcome. If you need an example of a postive outcome, please let us know. We have plenty of examples of students who decided to engage with successful results. 

2.) A student gave me an accommodation certificate. What do I do? Students are encouraged to approach faculty during office hours to discuss their specific needs. Some students are more comfortable than others with disclosure, so some will share the nature of their disability, and others are not ready or willing. Either way, the accommodation certificate will list the student's testing and classroom accommodations. Please ask how you can support the accommodation being met, and what it looks like for that individual. Some students will only use testing accommodations, in that case, disability services will email you when the student elects to use an accommodation. Others might have breaks or preferential seating. Ask the student to specify what that means for them. If you need clarification, please contact us.

3.) A student has shared that he/she has a disability, or had an "IEP" in high school, but has not given me an accommodation certificate. What should I do? Please refer the student to CAS, specifically to disability services.  If the student hasn't supplied an accommodation certificate, provide the supports that you would for any other student. 

4.) I have a student that is struggling with writing. What are his/her options? The Writing Center is staffed by trained writing consultants who meet individually with students to work through the writing process. The Writing Boot Camp is a series of grammar and mechanics workshops designed for students who are deficient in those writing basics. 

5.) I have serious concerns about a student's academic performance. What should I do? Please identify the student through the early alert system, and refer the student (see question #1) to CAS. 

6.) I have serious concerns about a students behavioral health. What should I do?  Please identify the student throught the early alert system, and refer the student to the Health and Counseling Center. 

7.) How qualified are the tutors in CAS? Peer tutors must have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and must have been successful in the courses they are tutoring. Peer tutors receive training in recognizing learning styles, approaches to learning, active listening and more.  They are expected to reach out to faculty. Professional tutors are adults who have education and professional experience in the content area that they are tutoring. Tutors are encouraged to interact with faculty. CAS staff appreciate any specific feedback about tutoring. 

8.) I've referred a student to CAS, but haven't seen any changes with the student yet. Why? Although we depend on faculty referrals and rely on feedback from faculty, neither faculty nor CAS staff can make a student choose to apply the tools that are available here for learning. We will always work with every student, and hope that they are ready to receive our support.